Warm weather is on its way! Get those boats out and de-winterized before the season hits. To make sure you're ready to hit the lake this summer, Surdyke Yamaha & Marina at the Lake of the Ozarks wants to remind you to service your boat before taking it out to ensure a safe and enjoyable boating season. For your convenience, we've created a maintenance checklist just for you.
Boat Service Maintenance Checklist
- Review your boat owner’s manual for any service instructions specific to your boat.
- Check the hull and bilge for damage, such as visible cracks that could potentially leak.
- Check the condition and operation of the outdrive. Keep an eye out for dings, cracks, distortions or pitting in the prop.
- Make sure fuel, electrical and cooling systems are a go. Drain or top off any fluids as needed.
- If it wasn't done when your boat was winterized, change the engine oil, oil filter and drive lubricants.
- Replace any hoses or lines that show evidence of softness, cracking or brittleness.
- Check the condition of the throttle control.
- Clean and tighten the electrical connections and check for looseness or corrosion.
- Are your navigation and boat trailer lights functioning properly?
- Run the engine, make sure the gauges are working properly and check the alternator for charging capacity.
- Test the battery to make sure it's holding charge.
- Put the drain plug in before launching your boat so you don't sink.
- Make sure you have plenty of life jackets on board for all of your passengers and that they're in good condition.