Fourth of July is this weekend, which means that many people will be boating at the Lake of the Ozarks, enjoying some time on the water. With more people out on the lake, boaters must be more cautious. Surdyke Yamaha has a few boating safety tips to keep in mind for the upcoming holiday weekend:
You should ensure that your boat is in proper working condition before taking it out on the water, just like you would a car before taking it out on a road trip.
- Check fuel levels and add more if necessary. (Don’t forget to come out to Surdyke’s Port 20 on mile marker 20 for all of your gas and boat storage needs at the Lake of the Ozarks.)
- Check engine for leakage, excess water, or heavy odors. These could be signs of a serious problem.
- Ensure all lights are functioning.
- Check for any electrical issues.
- Test radio/communication devices.
- Before starting your engine, it is a good idea to run the blowers to evacuate fumes and vapors from the bilge.
- It is a good idea share your plans with family or friends. Include your destination and expected time of return.
- Attach your boat and car keys to a floating bobber in case they go overboard.
- Check the local weather, water reports and boating forecasts. Do not head out if there will be bad weather.
Did you know that boating safety is not just about the boat? Whether you are driving or just along for the ride, everyone on board plays an important role in boating safety.
- Make sure you do not exceed the number of passengers allowed on your boat.
- While the passengers are loading and unloading for activities like tubing, waterskiing and swimming, make sure the engine is shut off.
- Wear your lifejacket, especially while participating in water activities. Children should wear their lifejackets at all times.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Because of the holiday weekend, there will be more watercrafts than usual out on the water.
- Just like driving a car, the driver of the boat should remain sober before and during the outing.
- All passengers should remain seated while the boat is in motion to reduce the chances of going overboard.
- Watch the gauges at the helm to help identify any issues as soon as possible.
Surdyke Yamaha Wishes Everyone a Safe and Happy Fourth of July!
While you’re out and about this weekend, be alert and stay safe. Accidents can still happen no matter how careful you, your passengers and fellow boaters may be. Surdyke Yamaha is here for all your boating needs. With the best selections of watercrafts at the Lake of the Ozarks, our team can help you find the perfect boat or jet ski for your holiday weekend! While you're out on the water, make sure to fill up at Surdyke’s Port 20. Have a Happy Fourth of July!
Highway Store Location Marina Store Location Surdyke's Port 20
5863 Osage Beach Parkway 1660 Yamaha Drive 5395 Spruce Lane
Osage Beach, MO 65065 Osage Beach, MO 65065 Osage Beach, MO 65065
(573) 348-6575 (573) 348-9283 (573) 348-3178